What happens after I buy?

What happens to documents V5C / MoT / tax when my number plate changes?


what happens to car documents when change number plate

What happens to my car documents when my number plate is changed?

Your V5C Registration Document (also known as the log book) has the existing registration number printed on it. When the car has been re-registered under your new private number plate by the DVLA, you will receive replacement V5C Registration Document.

You will not receive a replacement MoT Certificate, but the DVLA's systems are updated automatically. So just take your vehicle for MoT as usual.

Tax discs no longer issued after 1st Ocotber 2014.

What happens to my private number plate when I sell my vehicle?

When you sell your vehicle later on, you may wish to keep your private number plate. You will need to apply to the DVLA to either transfer the private registration number direct to another vehicle, or retain the number onto a V778 Retention Document. DVLA fees apply.

When the DVLA processes your application, they will provide a standard (age related) registration number to replace your private number plates. This usually the original registration number that was on the car before. But this is not guaranteed.

What should I do with the V750 Certificate of Entitlement?

You must transfer the registration number to a vehicle in the Nominee name (on the Certificate) before the expiry date on the Certificate.

Take (or send) the following to the DVLA. Address is on the V750 Certificate of Entitlement:

  • V750 Certificate of Entitlement (complete the Assignment section)
  • Full V5C Registration Document for the vehicle*

*If you have just purchased the vehicle and don't yet have a V5 Registration Document, the DVLA may accept the green New Keeper Supplement slip accompanied by a DVLA V62 form.


Subscribe to RSS - What happens after I buy?
100% Money Back Guarantee on private number plates
Great customer Service
The Plate Market reviews
Secure shopping with SagePay